Please read the Status Report Forum!

Use our own app called EPiG to get full EPG without needing an XML! You find it in your profile!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Special characters
Hey,

I use square brackets [ ] in my whole playlist but today when I went to save a change I suddenly get an error because "special characters" are no longer allowed in the name? Is there any reason for that and is there any chance that change can be reversed please? Or at least allow square brackets?

Also I guess a lot of people probably have colons : ; in their names too if they have VOD and stuff, so I'm surprised no one else has encountered this error yet, unless it's brand new.

Thanks.
This is intended and it won't go away.

Special characters break stuff easily and we are tired of fixing all the things, these useless childish channel names and movie titles break.

No, you don't need to have [US] and {Multisub} and (2017) and whatnot in your channel and movie names.
And you surely do not need smilies and little hearts and rainbows and unicorns.

Are we in kindergarten or what?

If you need to know so badly that the channel you watch is an US channel, then create a group called USA and put all the us channels there, or create a VOD group called Action Movies and put all the action movies there.

We will release our AndroidTV app this week which will load all the information for VOD movies automatically with country and productionsdate and poster and whatnot.
If you need to know that Titanic was made in the USA in 1997, then use our app instead of calling the movie Titanic [USA] (1997)

We will add the same feature to all our apps in the coming weeks.
(06-09-2020, 12:54 AM)Epg Admin Wrote: This is intended and it won't go away.

Special characters break stuff easily and we are tired of fixing all the things, these useless childish channel names and movie titles break.

No, you don't need to have [US] and {Multisub} and (2017) and whatnot in your channel and movie names.
And you surely do not need smilies and little hearts and rainbows and unicorns.

Are we in kindergarten or what?

If you need to know so badly that the channel you watch is an US channel, then create a group called USA and put all the us channels there, or create a VOD group called Action Movies and put all the action movies there.

We will release our AndroidTV app this week which will load all the information for VOD movies automatically with country and productionsdate and poster and whatnot.
If you need to know that Titanic was made in the USA in 1997, then use our app instead of calling the movie Titanic [USA] (1997)

We will add the same feature to all our apps in the coming weeks.

I don't think you get the point. For me, this is the end of using EPG, if I cannot sort and rename my stations appropriately. I merge several files and I have categories that I do not want to group to circumnavigate your newly invented limitations. Surely a channel name ending US-A and US-B should be doable. We are not little children looking for smiles, just have our specific needs.
I'm running into the same issue now. Is the | not usable anymore? For example, "HBO | Comedy" is how I used to lay my channels out. That isn't possible anymore?
(06-09-2020, 05:51 PM)herbmeyer Wrote: I don't think you get the point. For me, this is the end of using EPG, if I cannot sort and rename my stations appropriately. I merge several files and I have categories that I do not want to group to circumnavigate your newly invented limitations. Surely a channel name ending US-A and US-B should be doable. We are not little children looking for smiles, just have our specific needs.

We do not do this just for messing with you.
It has reasons.

You would wonder how many iptv provider decorate their channels with smilies and unicorns.

Again: these characters are braking things inb our system and we are not willing to spend hours on finding these characters which are countless and iptv providers find new ones every time.
There is at least a dozen variation of a simple "-" sign.

I can not imagine any scenario where you can not handle your stuff only with a "-" or a "()" or with unique groups
And of course is US-A and US-B possible.
Did you read the message at all?
You can use +, - and ()

Other than that you either adapt your habits or you can look for another service.
I am sorry to say this so harsh, but we are not developing the site for your taste.
We develop the site for being usable by everybody.
(06-09-2020, 11:34 PM)Epg Admin Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 05:51 PM)herbmeyer Wrote: I don't think you get the point. For me, this is the end of using EPG, if I cannot sort and rename my stations appropriately. I merge several files and I have categories that I do not want to group to circumnavigate your newly invented limitations. Surely a channel name ending US-A and US-B should be doable. We are not little children looking for smiles, just have our specific needs.

We do not do this just for messing with you.
It has reasons.

You would wonder how many iptv provider decorate their channels with smilies and unicorns.

Again: these characters are braking things inb our system and we are not willing to spend hours on finding these characters which are countless and iptv providers find new ones every time.
There is at least a dozen variation of a simple "-" sign.

I can not imagine any scenario where you can not handle your stuff only with a "-" or a "()" or with unique groups
And of course is US-A and US-B possible.
Did you read the message at all?
You can use +, - and ()

Other than that you either adapt your habits or you can look for another service.
I am sorry to say this so harsh, but we are not developing the site for your taste.
We develop the site for being usable by everybody.

I have sympathy for your problems, but please don't think we're "kindergarden children" decorating names with smileys. I had used characters that helped distinguishing different sources within a group and that allowed specific sorting preferences. I don't have to tell you that it takes a lot of time redesigning structures when things change. Thanks to your "bulk rename feature" I have managed to re-organize my channels.
Any other surprises coming up ???  :-)
You are maybe not a child.
More than the half of the userbase seems to be.

We are still keeping this for those people who have at least half of a brain, because you can not imagine, how many emails we get from people who do not understand the simplest things and say that the site is too complicated.

We won't dumb it down to the level of those people, but at the same time we try to make it userfriendly, which sometimes means making it simple and taking away personal preferences.

Surprises will always come up. That's what this site is about. Constant development.

And here we end this discussion.